Albertus Magnus College Student Blogger

Albertus Magnus College Student Blogger

Friday, September 7, 2012

Sick Little Student Teacher

I have been working in the high school for a week and I am already sick! Thank goodness for DayQuil… I’d be miserable without it! Major downfall… I have to miss the Welcome Back dance tonight so I can sleep!

I have found out that I will be taking over the freshmen classes on September 18th and the juniors on the 24th. There is a lot of lesson planning ahead of me! Today, one of my freshmen students came up to me and asked how long I had been at Daniel Hand. I responded, “As a student teacher, same amount of time as you!” She seemed surprised and continued. She told me about a club she was planning on starting at the school. It is called “Rachel’s Challenge,” and it is an anti-bullying group that started after Rachel Scott, the first victim of the Columbine shooting, was killed. This student had participated in this group in middle school and wanted to continue it in the high school. She asked me if I would be the advisor for the group. It nearly broke my heart to inform her that I will only be at the high school until the end of the trimester in November. I told her that I would love to help and be a part of the group while I am at Hand. I felt very honored and proud that she thought of me. It made me realize that I am making an impact by being there. That is probably the biggest compliment I will ever be able to receive, knowing I am making a difference in the lives of my students. That is my ultimate goal, to make a difference. I am very proud of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment