Albertus Magnus College Student Blogger

Albertus Magnus College Student Blogger

Saturday, September 15, 2012

First Full Week of Classes

This is the first full week of classes at Daniel Hand High School. When Monday rolled around, I was so tired and wasn’t sure I’d make it through the week but I have, yay! I did my mini lessons that are required for my Practicum. I taught two freshmen lessons and a junior class. The mini lessons taught me a lot. I’m learning through trial and error, what works and what doesn’t. That’s the point of this experience and sometimes I lose sight of that since I am a perfectionist. I want to do well, not for me or my grades, but for my students! The lessons that I am presenting are to enforce skills that they will need through high school and eventually college.
I am very lucky to be at Daniel Hand, because I am able to learn and take in as much information as possible. The English department is very supportive and kind. They are always telling me that the nerves I have are completely normal and that they experienced the same thing (and sometimes still do). I observed four other teachers and it was interesting to watch how each have their own teaching style, and the students respond differently. I really enjoy seeing them instruct a lesson, because it gives me ideas as to what my teaching style may be. I also felt really inspired watching them, because it all came so naturally to them. It is something to aspire to become, a teacher that is completely at ease in front of their students. I need to work on that still, but it will come with time.
Another great thing about my endeavors is that I am completely supported by the Albertus community. I have friends who are always checking in on me to see how it is going. I also have professors and faculty that check in on me. I think one of the greatest feelings is knowing that everyone has an unfailing faith and confidence in my abilities to be a teacher. I was given a huge compliment by my advisor; she said that I am a great teacher. Me? A teacher? I guess I am and it is hard to think of it like that, because I do not feel all that removed from being a high school student. I graduated in 2009 and there is not much of an age difference between my students. I am carrying myself in such a way that they see me as an authority.
Tonight was Back to School Night, and the parents ran through their children’s schedule. I talked a little, just saying that I have enjoyed my time with their kids thus far and I’m excited to continue to work with them. The greatest part of the night was when I was leaving I had a conversation with one of my juniors. She begged me to take control of her class and then she opened up to me about her personal life. This something that I do not take lightly, because that means I am building a trusting relationship with my students and that I could make a difference in their lives. I really am honored that this student trusted me enough to talk to me about things going on in her life; it means so much to me!
Tuesday morning is the first official day of student teaching. I will be taking control of the two freshmen classes and will be their teacher. The assignments, the lessons, the instruction… it will all be on me. I’m nervous and excited. I want to do well and I want the lesson to be successful. I have gotten to a point where I can only try my best and that will have to be enough. I will be pushing myself for the next three months: grading, teaching, creating, and still being a student myself. It will be tough. I will be stressed out, but I know that I will be able to do it with the support of everyone in my life.
I want to take moment to thank EVERYONE that has talked to me, compliments me, advised me, educated me, or even told me I couldn’t do this… this all motivates me to be better. My family and friends have been so supportive; I would not have made it this far without them. The faculty and staff at Albertus have been amazing, as well. I consider myself extremely lucky to be going through the education program at Albertus, because I’m not sure I would be having the same experience if I was a student at another school.
For now, I am going to go finish lesson plans for next week. There is always something to be done… oh, the life of a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment